- 1½ lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 1 med onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-28 oz can tomatoes (puree in blender)
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 3 small cans tomato paste
- 1 can sliced black olives, drained (more if desired)
- 1 pkg. lasagna noodles
- 3-8 oz pkg. shredded mozzarella
- 1 lb ricotta
- parmesan cheese (sprinkled between layers)
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 – 1½ teaspoons sweet basil
- 1 – 1½ teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare sauce 1-2 days ahead:
- In a 5 qt stock pot, sauté meat and onions in vegetable oil; mash meat until thoroughly crumbled. Add all spices. When meat is cooked, add all tomato products and olives. Simmer 3-4 hours.
- Cook lasagna noodles in salted water with 1½ teaspoons vegetable oil as per package directions. Warm sauce while this cooks. Drain and cool noodles.
- In a 16¼″ × 11¼″ × 2¼″ pan layer as follows:
- one fourth of meat sauce
- lasagna noodles
- one third of ricotta
- one package of mozzarella
- sprinkle parmesan to cover completely
- Repeat layers and end with meat sauce and parmesan over 3rd layer.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F (180°C) approximately 1 hour.
I don't know how essential it is to make the sauce 2 days ahead... but,do make it ahead of time.